Swinomish is hosting the 2011 Canoe Journey. En route landing sites and dates so far include Suquamish, July 21-22; Tulalip, July 23; Coupeville, July 24. We will post more dates as they are known. Ceremonial in Swinomish is scheduled for July 25-July 31. (1)(2)(3). The landing site will be in Swadaps Park on Swinomish Channel.
This is going to be a bit further to go for our pullers than it was in 2010 (Makah) and 2009 (Suquamish).
Some historical canoe images:
- "Tlingits attending potlatch, 1895"
- "Koksilah Reserve canoes, 1890"
- "Salish canoe in Vancouver Harbor. 1890"
- "Bird's-eye view of Makah Potlatch on Tatoosh Island, 1895"
- "Clallam Indians (the Hicks family) pose with canoe near Chimacum Creek, Washington, ca. 1914"
Come to the library for books and DVDs about canoes, and about past canoe journeys.